Chicon 7, this year’s World Science Fiction Convention, has announced that they received 1,101 nominating ballots for the 2012 Hugo Awards, a new record, eclipsing last year’s high-water mark of 1,006.
The 2012 Hugo Award nominations will be announced on Saturday, April 7 starting at 3:00 PM Central Daylight Time in an announcement ceremony planned to be held simultaneously at these five separate SF conventions:
- Norwescon 35, one of the Pacific Northwest’s premier science fiction and fantasy conventions, at Seatac, WA (1 PM. PDT)
- Leprecon 38, Arizona’s annual science fiction and fantasy convention, at Tempe, AZ (1 PM MST)
- Minicon 47, Minnesota’s longest-running science fiction convention, at Bloomington, MN (3 PM CDT)
- Marcon 47, the Midwest’s largest annual convention, at Columbus, OH (4 PM EDT)
- Olympus 2012, the British National Science Fiction Convention (Eastercon) (9 PM BST)
Chicon 7 representatives will be joined for the announcement by special guests including authors George RR Martin at Eastercon and Joe Haldeman at Leprecon, and artist John Picacio at Norwescon.
Chicon 7 plans to broadcast the Hugo Award Nomination Announcements live on UStream. We will post the details of how to follow the results live online when Chicon 7 makes them available. We will, of course, post the nominations here on TheHugoAwards.org shortly after they are published.
More information is available in the full announcement at the Chicon 7 web site.