The electronic ballot and paper (PDF) ballots for the 2012 Hugo Awards are now online and available from the Chicon 7 Hugo Awards web site. To vote online, you will need a Personal Identification Number (PIN). Chicon 7 will send all members PINs by e-mail or paper mail. You must be at least a supporting member of Chicon 7 in order to vote (you can join at the time you vote), and Chicon 7 must receive your ballot by the voting deadline, which is Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 11:59 pm PDT.
You do not have to attend Chicon 7 or have an attending membership in order to vote. A supporting membership is sufficient. Members of last year or next year’s Worldcons were able to participate in the nominations process, but are not eligible to vote on the final ballot (unless they are members of Chicon 7, of course.)
According to Chicon 7, the final ballot process for the 2012 Hugo Awards started on Monday, April 9, 2012 and will continue until Tuesday, July 31, 2012. Voting will be available online and by paper ballot distributed to all members of Chicon 7 and through their website. You do not have to attend Chicon 7 to vote, but you must be either an attending or supporting member of the convention. (Members of last year’s and next year’s Worldcons could nominate on this year’s Hugo Awards, but cannot vote on the final ballot unless they also join Chicon 7.)
We have as yet received no official word about a Hugo Voter Packet of nominated works; however, informal reports indicate that Chicon 7 is working on this and will make an announcement when such a package is available.
For more information about the 2012 Hugo Awards, see the Chicon 7 Hugo Awards page. If you have specific questions about this year’s Hugo Awards process, contact Chicon 7’s Hugo Administrators directly through Chicon 7’s website. If you send your questions to us here at TheHugoAwards.org, we will forward them to Chicon 7, but there may be a delay in getting your question to the right people.
The nominations for the 2012 Hugo Awards were announced today simultaneously at events at five different conventions in the USA and UK and broadcast on UStream. The complete list of nominations is on our 2012 Hugo Award Nominations Page.
On Saturday, April 7, starting at 3 PM Central Daylight Time, you will be able to see this year’s Hugo Award Nominations announced live in person at five conventions in the United States and Europe, with the announcements simultaneously carried live over the internet on UStream. Special guests will be present at some of the live announcements as well.
The UStream channels will be opened shortly before the start of the announcement, giving you the opportunity to follow whichever location’s broadcast you prefer. If you’re attending one of those conventions, check your convention’s schedule for details of where the announcements will be presented. Otherwise, pick the one you want to watch:
- Norwescon 35, one of the Pacific Northwest’s premier science fiction and fantasy conventions, at Seatac, WA (1 PM PDT). With Special Guest John Picacio. Ustream channel www.ustream.tv/channel/hugo-nominee-announcement-live-from-norwescon.
- Leprecon 38, Arizona’s annual science fiction and fantasy convention, at Tempe, AZ (1 PM MST). With Special Guest Joe Haldeman. Ustream channel www.ustream.tv/channel/hugo-nominee-announcement-live-from-leprecon.
- Minicon 47, Minnesota’s longest-running science fiction convention, at Bloomington, MN (3 PM CDT). With guest Chris Garcia. Ustream channel www.ustream.tv/channel/hugo-nominee-announcement-live-from-minicon.
- Marcon 47, the Midwest’s largest annual convention, at Columbus, OH (4 PM EDT). Ustream channel www.ustream.tv/channel/hugo-nominee-announcement-live-from-marcon.
- Olympus 2012, the British National Science Fiction Convention (Eastercon) (9 PM BST). With Chicon 7 Chair Dave McCarty and Special Guest George R.R. Martin. Ustream channel www.ustream.tv/channel/hugo-nominee-announcement-live-from-eastercon.
The 2012 Hugo Awards will be presented at Chicon 7, the 2012 World Science Fiction Convention, August 30 to September 3, 2012 at the Hyatt Regency Chicago. All members of Chicon 7 (both attending and supporting) will be eligible to vote on the 2012 Hugo Awards.